How to Answer: “Why Do You Want to Work Here?” (with Sample Answers)
- Jan 19, 2023
- Marta Gongos
- 0 Comments
Some of the most challenging interview questions to answer are usually the ones that sound the simplest. “Why do you want to work here?” is one such question.
It’s as tricky as “Where do you see yourself in five years?” because it’s asking for a specific response without any context or hint. You can try winging it, but that could be disastrous—one that could cost you the chance of getting the job.
Keep reading to find out how to answer this game-changing question.
3 Expert Tips to Crafting the Perfect Response
1. Explain Why You Enjoy the Responsibilities of the Role
Wanting to work at a company doesn’t always have to be about that particular company. Sometimes, it’s about the role. You can expand on why you’re interested in the responsibilities of the position you’re applying for and how this passion helps achieve both your career and the company’s goals.
- “I’ve always enjoyed writing; it’s the reason why I took communication arts in college. It’s exciting to see that writing is a big part of the job.”
- “I’ve been doing data analytics for X years. There’s something about it I find equally exciting and challenging. I’m looking forward to the data visualization we’ll be doing as a team.”
|💡PRO Tip: Study the job description and make sure you understand the role and all the duties it entails.|
2. Highlight How Your Core Values Align with The Company’s Values/Culture
Another way of answering the question “Why do you want to work here?” is to consider your own core values. Are they aligned with the company’s values and culture?
Do you find any similarities between what you believe in and the company’s practices? Explaining this will help employers see why you’re a good fit for the job.
- “I’ve been in the travel and tourism industry for five years. I love working with diverse people, which has enabled me to expand my experience in customer service. I’m excited to apply my bilingual skills working for a global company that’s committed to its employees and is consistently ranked as one of the city’s best places to work.”
- “Based on my research, you’ve invested in the ongoing education of your employees. I’ve always admired companies that challenge and empower their employees, just like your organization. That’s why when I saw the opening for the project manager position, I took the opportunity to apply. It would be an honour to use my skills and experience and grow my career at this company.
|💡PRO Tip: If you haven’t thought about what your core values are, ask yourself: what motivates you? What qualities do you find ideal? Company core values are often found on their website.|
3. Reference the Company’s Products or Services
Employers are always curious to hear what people think of their products or services—including potential employees. If you’re passionate about what the company does or any of its products, express it. Connect that passion to your skills and beliefs.
Not only will this demonstrate that you’re already knowledgeable about the company, but it will also show how much you want to be a part of it.
- “I’ve used your software for many years and I’m consistently impressed with the developments you’ve made. I would love to be a part of this innovative team and use my skills to help continue the groundbreaking work you’re doing here.”
- “Your organization caught my attention a few years ago. I find the tone and style of your brand impressive. I’ve been working my way up and upgrading my skills—and I think I’m now ready to join your exceptional team. With my skills, I believe I can help drive the brand forward.”
|💡PRO Tip: Familiarize yourself with the company’s products/services. See what type of content they’re posting on social media and read what they’re writing about on their blog.|
Get Hired By Top Employers
There are a variety of different ways of responding to, “Why do you want to work here?” What’s important is to be authentic. However, you can only be sincere if you really think the company you’re applying to is one of the best.